Ninety five years ago, the Sejm of the Second Polish Republic decided to build a port in an unknown village of Gdynia. Currently, the Port of Gdynia is one of the most important south Baltic marine centres and one of the largest employers in the city.
In June 1920, Tadeusz Wenda, Eng. was appointed to find a place for the construction of the port and to draw up its project. He pointed out Gdynia as the most convenient place for the investment. During that time the town was populated by 1.3 thousand residents and there were 132 houses. In Gdynia and in neighbouring villages – Obłuż, Oksyw, Oksywskie Piaski, and Kolibki, 135 people cultivated fishery. They had 6 motor vessels, 10 sailing ships and 103 rowing boats. In 1921 the construction of the port began. At first it was going to be a place for small warships and a port of refuge for fishermen. It was only on 23rd of September 1922 that due to the public pressure, the Sejm adopted the law authorising the government to build a port in Gdynia.
Within several years the port of Gdynia became the largest port in the Baltic and one of the largest ports in Europe. It got ahead, in terms of the volume of trade, such ports as Copenhagen, Bremen, Amsterdam, Genoa, Naples and Trieste. During 95 years of its functioning the port of Gdynia was constantly changing and evolving. In 2005, the 500th million ton of cargo in the postwar history of the port was transshipped. The construction of the estacade and the ramp to load trucks on the upper decks of ferries was completed in the same year. In 2006, side handling in Gdynia Container Terminal was inaugurated.
The Management Board of Morski Port Gdynia announces the further investments. These will include the construction of a new manoeuvring basin and operations concerning a new public port terminal, along with deepening port basins and the newest issue – the External Harbour which in the next ten years will become a great opportunity for the development of the port of Gdynia.